HOME DEPARTMENTS GOVERNMENT ABOUT MEADE CONTACT US

  • Minutes

  • Emergency Services

  • Maps

  • Utilities

  • Business Directory
     

  • Calendar of Events:

    4th of July Fireworks Show: July 4th at Meade High School

    Chamber of Commerce Meeting: July 7th, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. at the Library Community Room.

     

    A brief history...

    Meade was named after General George Gordon Meade, who led the Union Army of the Potomac during the Civil War. The first settlement in what was to become Meade County was made in 1878. Many settlers came in 1884, through 1886, when the area was being promoted.

    Meade Center was developed as a town on July 9, 1885, by the Meade Center Townsite company who had purchased 520 acres from the government. For this they paid $650.00.In the same year the original town site was surveyed, and by November 1885, the city was incorporated and organized.

    The name Meade Center was changed to Meade in 1889. In 1887, the artesian wells in the valley north of Meade were discovered and with pure water, fertile soil, deposits of iron ore, peat, salt, silica, oil, and gas, the development of Meade County has progressed since that time.

     


    The City of Meade
    132 South Fowler
    PO Box 338
    Meade, KS  67864-0338

    Ph. (620) 873-2091
    Fax (620) 873-2635

    HOME   |   DEPARTMENTS   |   GOVERNMENT  |   ABOUT MEADE   |   CONTACT US

    SITE MAP


     

    2013 - City of Meade and its representatives - All rights reserved
    contact
    webmaster